Sunday, September 20, 2015

YD IDEAOLOGY

YD IDEOLOGY

Based on my score on the ideology test, it seems that I identify with Risk, Resilience and Prevention as well as Critical Youth Development. I scored 13 on Risk, Resilience and Prevention and a 14 on Critical Youth Development. When it comes to youth work, I definitely want to see kids and the youth strive in a positive light. I feel like this is why I identify with the risk, resilience and prevention. I want youth to understand there are ways out of troubled situations like being in a gang or being a bully. I feel like getting more kids and youth involved in after school actives really helps this cause. Since my focus is to become a basketball coach, I will be working with kids not just in a competitive atmosphere but this is also a way to keep them focused on something positive and risk-free.

As regards to critical youth, it kind of is the same thing in the sense that it is working with the youth in important things that do affect them. For example the Ideology Horoscope mentions that under this category you work with the youth and talk about classism , and racism and more. It is important to talk about all of these different issues with the youth and this is where youth acceptance and appreciation is valued. This is where as youth development workers, we engage with the youth and value their voice and opinions and work with them on important issues. Reading the Ideology horoscope I can understand how my mindset aligns with both the risk, resilience, and prevention youth development and the critical youth development

3 comments:

  1. I also got Risk, Resilience and Prevention. You made a lot of good points and I agree with you on the fact that we want to see the youth in a positive light. Great idea about the basketball and getting more programs involved with the youth and everyday struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I didn't match with critical development, I do believe it is equally as important! In order for youth to form their own opinions and make their own path than as adults it's our job to discuss these situations with them. If we work with them on important issues than they will eventually be able to do it themselves (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool way to blend two ideologies together! I can totally picture you as a coach building on their strengths, and bringing up critical issues with them outside of practice. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete