Monday, September 14, 2015

Blog Post #2: YIA



Youth in Action is a very good program provided for the youth these days and it is something I never saw when I was younger. I was a part of clubs like the YMCA but nothing like Youth in Action; nothing that taught kids that they had a voice and their voice matters. The beautiful thing about Youth in Action is the fact that it is allowing these kids to have a voice. It is allowing these kids to have their own opinions and not be afraid to talk about their opinions. One statement made in the article by Diana Jacques really spoke to me and its when she says, “I argue with someone at YIA at least once a week- but in a good way.” This itself is extremely important and I am glad that people are realizing that their opinions matter. Although others don’t agree, that’s okay, as long as you voice your thoughts. If I did have something like YIA when I was younger, I would have found my voice more quickly. It honestly wasn’t until I was a freshman in college, when I realized that my thoughts and ideas and opinions are valuable and are important. And I think YIA is doing a great job teaching kids this. 

This is also why YIA exemplifies the model of working WITH the youth. Throughout the article and reading not only the adults testimonies but the kids involved, really showed how important it is for YIA to work with the kids. In the beginning it is stated that the kids are in charge and the adults are there to help and guide them along. All youth workers should have this same idea in mind when working with kids; that they are doing just that, working with them. It’s a beautiful thing when kids feel accepted and feel like people are there for them and helping them along in their lives. Youth in Action is just great program that truly works with its kids and helps the youth realize that they are the voice of power and what they think, and their ideas are just as important as adults thought and ideas. They are not just products of their parents but they are their own person and they are allowed to have their own thoughts and ideas. I believe this article is not only about explaining how amazing YIA really is, but also how important it is to work with these kids and encouraging and helping them find their voices in this world.


3 comments:

  1. I like how you included your personal sentiments. I am still trying to find my voice now that I am in college. If I had known about YIA, I think I would have found the strength I needed to speak my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said that the kids have a voice. No matter how young or old you are everyone has a voice and they should be allowed to express it. I also liked how you said that the youth are being able to work with kids. The youth have to set the example for our young children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said about how beautiful it is when kids feel accepted.I have seen it at my work many times. If you allow the child to learn and give them a chance to be a leader, it gives them such confidence! It is a lot different then just telling them what do to. You can tell just by looking at their faces when they have accomplished something all on their own (:

    ReplyDelete